What is the best time of year for remodeling?
Homeowners don’t typically decide to start a major home renovation, remodel, or addition without significant thought and consideration. Although certain life changes may require an unexpected renovation, most are planned out over months or years. Besides the fun parts of planning your home remodel, such as choosing finishes, fixtures, and even paint colors, you also need to choose when the renovation happens.
Certain times of the year are better than others depending on the type of project you have in mind. Keep in mind vacations, school schedules, work schedules, holidays, and the weather when planning your home renovation. Timing matters for additions too, but maybe not as much as say a bathroom or kitchen remodel.
The holidays are over, and you can sit and relax for a change. So, why would you want to start a major home renovation in the winter? Well, starting large projects such as a kitchen remodel or bathroom remodel in the winter is a great choice. Kitchen and bathroom remodels can take a significant amount of time to complete, with extensive renovations taking several months to complete.
- Pros: Depending on the project, work can be done before the fun and sun of summer.
- Cons: Snowstorms and freezing temperatures can cause delays in materials delivery and construction. Contractors will also be off for the holidays.
- Start Planning: Late summer / early fall
Imagine yourself sitting on your nice, new deck sipping a drink as the kids play in the backyard. As the birds chirp, the delicious smell of steaks and veggies grilling in your perfect new outdoor kitchen fill the air. That sounds like a perfect summer evening, doesn’t it? If it does to you, then you need to start your outdoor projects in the spring so they can be completed by the summer.
The ideal temperatures of spring make building a new deck, an outdoor kitchen, or the ultimate patio experience a great time of year to get moving on your project. At this point, freezing temperatures should be gone and the ground should be thawed enough for digging to be easy. Because ground temperatures are starting to warm, spring is the perfect time for additional foundations. This means that spring is the prime choice for adding an addition to your home.
- Pros: Fantastic weather.
- Cons: Often the busiest time of year for renovations. Materials may be harder to source due to increased demand. Rain could interfere with some projects.
- Start Planning: Late fall / early winter
If you aren’t looking forward to living through a major renovation, taking a much-needed vacation at this time of year can not only help you relax and recharge, but also avoid living in a construction zone. Taking a vacation during a bathroom or kitchen renovation can also be smart as there are two of the most used rooms in your house. Being down a working bathroom or a functioning kitchen can impair your regular daily activities. Renovating a kitchen in the summer is also made easier if you can spend more time grilling outside rather than worrying about being with a stove for weeks.
- Pros: Fantastic weather. Could base around vacation plans.
- Cons: A very busy time of year for renovations. Materials may be harder to source due to increased demand. High humidity can interfere with painting and other projects. More people home with kids being off of school. May interfere with vacation plans.
- Start Planning: Winter
Like spring, fall is often a great time of year to start a major home remodeling project. Weather in the spring can be good but fall has similar weather while also tending to be drier and less humid. No April showers here! These favorable weather conditions also make fall a prime time for roofing and window installation and replacement. Plus, you generally don’t have to worry about winter storms disrupting construction or materials delivery. Getting rolling on your project in early fall can also help ensure that your renovations can be unveiled to family and friends for the holidays.
If you’re looking to convert your attic into a cozy guestroom or additional living space, the fall is best. Trying to work in an attic in the summer can be sweltering, while winter can be too cold. Similarly, basements can be too cold in the winter. Keep in mind that fall is also a great time to get awesome deals on appliances from Labor Day to Black Friday as retailers try to clear out older models and make room for new ones.
- Pros: Generally good, dry weather. Projects could be completed before the holiday season.
- Cons: Temperatures could dip too low for certain projects, especially outdoor ones.
- Start Planning: Spring / early summer
No matter what time of year it is, it’s always a good time to remodel your home with K. Fedewa Builders. Give us a call today at 517-388-6123 to start planning your renovation, or get a quote at https://kfedewabuilders.com/get-a-quote/.